10/01/2013

Smokey Split Pea and Bacon Soup

Two posts in one day! Gosh.

The weather has turned, and with it my food cravings. All I wanted today was soup, so when I saw a big packet of split peas for 65 pennies, my mind was pretty much made up on the spot. I only had to buy an onion and I was all set.

My soup turned out to be so very nice, that I am sharing it with you, not ten minutes after I have finished eating it.

(I used American measuring cups because that’s what I have and I didn’t want to generate more washing up.)

2 and 1/3 cups hot water

1/3 cup yellow split peas

1 red onion, chopped into small chunks

2 rashers smoked bacon, chopped into small bits

2 cloves garlic, sliced (I used smoked)

1 Knorr chicken stock cube

Olive oil

1 knob butter

Sauté the chopped bacon in the olive oil.

When the bacon loses its translucence, add in the onion and sauté on a gentle heat until it starts to soften.

Add in the garlic slices, along with the butter. Mix well to coat.

Pour in all the water, and the peas.

Bring to the boil, turn the heat right down to low, add in the stock cube and leave it on a low heat, stirring every so often, for about 45 minutes to an hour.

Eat. Feel better.

   Split peas

Ingredients

Finished Soup

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I use soup mix instead? And can I just bung it in?

Lisa said...

Hello Anon person!

If you mean something like this: http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=256538133

I would say that you can use it. The red lentils in it will cook down fastest, and pearl barley won't cook down, but it will soften. It might just need a bit longer cooking, but possibly with a bit more stock as both red lentils and barley absorbed it. Just keep topping it up as you go.