18/04/2017

Spring has Sprung, and it's emerald green.

Spring is one of my favourite times. It speaks of renewed hope - and let's face it, we need all that we can get at the moment - and it calls to us as the soil warms again and the sap rises.

One of the joys of seasonal eating is that you get to enjoy things at their best, eaten when they should be, not forced under glass or ripened with gases. I am well aware that these things have to happen in order to feed our booming and blossoming peoples but there are some things that I prefer to eat only that once a year. I can wait, I will be patient.

Asparagus and Jersey Royals are two of the main things I will wait for. Jerseys, with their delicately papery skin, need no more than a little steam, or a simmer,  and butter. I don't even add mint to their water, there's no need.

As for asparagus, with its short season, that has to be kept as simple as possible. I used to steam it, but then I found a mix of griddling and steaming worked better, for me.

At Easter, as we were on the way down to Bexhill, we passed a farm shop that I love. Ringden Hall farm makes and sells the most beautiful apple juices, bottled by variety. Thankfully my local farm shop in Brentwood stocks them too, so we are never more than ten minutes away from the sharp/sweet and sweet/dry of their juices. Discovery apples make the best, I think, and we have that one the most.

This particular day, as we drove, we saw a sign for fresh asparagus. There was no way at all I was going to pass that up, so in we went.  Great bunches of it lay on the counter, alongside some freshly laid eggs. Spring at a glance. The freshness of the greenery, and the symbolism of eggs, are just something that I will always cook.

Lunch that day was a simple affair, and it made us very happy indeed.

Take 1 large frying pan.
Add in a goodly amount of decent olive oil, then pop in the spears.
I use enough oil so that each spear is coated.
Up the heat, and as soon they start to spit, add 1/2 tbs of water and put a lid on, lowering the heat to medium.
As you put the lid on, heat more oil in another pan, so you can fry your eggs. Have your eggs how you like, it's your lunch, I fry mine on a high heat to try and crisp the edges a little.
The asparagus will steam through in about 5 minutes, and then you take the lid off, and cook uncovered to evaporate any extra water.
All I do after that is add a sprinkle of sea salt, and serve it all with bread so that the olive oil doesn't go to waste. I cannot bear wasting any of that.

Quick to cook, and oh so satisfying to eat.

Ringden Hall Farm eggs and asparagus


No comments: